Professor Andrew Wilson
MA, DPhil, FSA
University Academic Fellow since 2004
Professor of the Archaeology of the Roman Empire
Visit external homepage
Contact by email
- University Lecturer in Roman Archaeology, University of Oxford and Fellow, Wolfson College, Oxford (from 2000 to 2004)
- Fellow by Examination, Magdalen College, Oxford (from 1996 to 2000)
- Postgraduate, Corpus Christi College, Oxford (from 1993 to 1996)
- Factory Systems Analyst, Eurotherm (from 1991 to 1993)
- Undergraduate, Corpus Christi College, Oxford (from 1988 to 1991)
- Economy of the Roman empire
- Ancient technology
- Ancient water supply and usage
- Roman architecture
- Roman North Africa
- Field survey
- Recent field work: Utica Excavations, Tunisia; Euesperides (Benghazi), Libya; Desert Migrations Project, Libya
- Excavation in the Roman Forum, Rome; Janiculum Mills Project, Rome; Fazzan Project, Libya; El Anderin, Syria; Jerba Project, Tunisia; Sangro Valley Project, Italy; Yeronisos Island Expedition, Cyprus; Thamusida, Morocco; Leptiminus Archaeological Project, Tunisia
- (ed. jointly with A.K. Bowman), The Roman Agricultural Economy: Organization, Investment, and Production, Oxford Studies in the Roman Economy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013).
- (with Josephine Crawley Quinn), 'Capitolia', Journal of Roman Studies (2013), 103: 117-173.
- 'Saharan trade in the Roman period: short-, medium- and long-distance trade networks', Azania: Archaeological Research in Africa 47 (2012), 4: 409-449.
- (ed. jointly with A.K. Bowman), Settlement, Urbanization, and Population, Oxford Studies in the Roman Economy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011).
- (ed. jointly with D. Robinson) Maritime Archaeology and Ancient Trade in the Mediterranean, Oxford Centre for Maritime Archaeology, Monograph 6 (Oxford: Oxford Centre for Maritime Archaeology, 2011).
- (ed. jointly with D. Robinson), Alexandria and the North-Western Delta. Joint Conference Proceedings of Alexandria: City and Harbour (Oxford 2004) and The Trade and Topography of Egypt’s North-West Delta (Berlin 2006). Oxford Centre for Maritime Archaeology, Monograph 5 (Oxford: School of Archaeology, 2010).
- (ed. jointly with A.K. Bowman), Quantifying the Roman Economy: Methods and Problems, Oxford Studies in the Roman Economy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009).
- Link to full publications list
Teaching and supervision
- Courses on Roman archaeology: cities and settlements under the Roman Empire
- Graduate courses on the archaeology of the Roman economy, Roman urban systems, Roman North Africa
- Supervision of doctoral theses on Roman archaeology, especially those connected with the Roman economy or Roman technology
Other professional memberships and roles
- Chairman of The Society for Libyan Studies
- Corresponding overseas member of the Société Nationale des Antiquaires de France
Research awards and grants
- Co-director, with Professor Alan Bowman, of The Oxford Roman Economy Project