Professor Sir John Vickers
MA, DPhil, FBA
Warden since 2008
Visit external homepage
Contact by email
- Drummond Professor of Political Economy, Oxford (from 1991 to 2008)
- Director General/Chairman, Office of Fair Trading (from 2000 to 2005)
- Chief Economist and Executive Director, Bank of England (from 1998 to 2000)
- Member of the Monetary Policy Committee (from 1998 to 2000)
- Roy Harrod Fellow in the Economics of Business and Public Policy, Nuffield College, Oxford (from 1984 to 1990)
- Prize Fellow, All Souls College, Oxford (from 1979 to 1984)
- Undergraduate, Oriel College, Oxford (from 1976 to 1979)
- Economics of competition and regulation
- ‘Consumer protection and contingent charges’, Journal of Economic Literature, 2012, 50, 477-93 (with Mark Armstrong)
- ‘Monopoly price discrimination and demand curvature’, American Economic Review, 2010, 100, 1601-1615 (with Iñaki Aguirre and Simon Cowan).
- ‘Competitive nonlinear pricing and bundling’, Review of Economic Studies, 2010, 77, 30-60 (with Mark Armstrong).
- ‘A model of delegated project choice’, Econometrica, 2010, 78, 213-244 (with Mark Armstrong).
- ‘Competition policy and property rights’, Economic Journal, 2010, 120, 375-392. [Presidential address to the 2009 conference of the Royal Economic Society.]
Other professional memberships and roles
- Chair, Independent Commission on Banking (from June 2010 to September 2011)
- President, Royal Economic Society (from 2007 to 2010)
- Fellow, Econometric Society (from 1998)
- Delegate and Chairman of Finance Committee, Oxford University Press