Dr Graeme Segal
BSc, MA, DPhil, FRS
Emeritus Fellow since 2009
Contact by email
- Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College, Oxford (from 1999 to 2009)
- Lowndean Professor of Astronomy and Geometry, and Fellow of St John’s College, Cambridge (from 1990 to 1999)
- Oxford University: Junior Lecturer in Mathematics (1965-6); CUF Lecturer (1966-70); Science Research Council Research Associate (1971-5); University Lecturer (1975-8); Reader (1978-89); Professor of Mathematics (ad hominem) (1989-90) (from 1965 to 1990)
- Fellow, St Catherine’s College, Oxford (from 1966 to 1990)
- Junior Research Fellow, Worcester College, Oxford (from 1964 to 1966)
- Graduate student, Balliol College, Oxford (from 1963 to 1964)
- Graduate student, St. John’s College, Cambridge (from 1962 to 1963)
- Undergraduate, University of Sydney (from 1958 to 1961)
- Geometry: algebraic topology and the structure of manifolds
- Quantum field theory: its conceptual and mathematical structure; geometric applications of field theory; two-dimensional conformal field theory
- Global analysis: index theory, geometry and representations of finite- and infinite-dimensional Lie groups; integrable systems
- Space and spaces, Presidential Lecture to the London Mathematical So-
ciety, November 2013.
- A geometric perspective on quantum field theory. Contemp. Mathematics,
620 (2014), pp. 281-294.
- Reflections on Quillen's work on algebraic K-theory. Quarterly J. Math.,
64 (2013), pp. 645-664.
- Locality of holomorphic bundles, and locality in quantum field theory. In
The many facets of geometry, ed. O. Garcia-Prada et al., OUP 2010, pp.
- ‘The definition of conformal field theory’, in U. Tillmann (ed.), Topolology, geometry, and quantum field theory (CUP, 2004)
- (with A. Pressley), Loop groups (OUP, 1986)
- ‘Loop groups and equations of KdV type’, IHES Publ. Math., 61 (1985), 5-65
- ‘Unitary representations of some infinite-dimensional groups’, Comm. Math. Phys., 80 (1981), 301-42
- ‘The topology of spaces of rational functions’, Acta Mathematica, 143 (1979), 39-72
- ‘Categories and cohomology theories’, Topology, 13 (1974), 293-312
- Link to publications
Other professional memberships and roles
- Editor, Topology (from 1970 to 1990)
- Member, Institute for Advanced Study (from 1969 to 1970)