Dr Graeme Segal
BSc, MA, DPhil, FRS
Emeritus Fellow since 2009
Contact by email
- Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College, Oxford (from 1999 to 2009)
- Lowndean Professor of Astronomy and Geometry, and Fellow of St John’s College, Cambridge (from 1990 to 1999)
- Oxford University: Junior Lecturer in Mathematics (1965-6); CUF Lecturer (1966-70); Science Research Council Research Associate (1971-5); University Lecturer (1975-8); Reader (1978-89); Professor of Mathematics (ad hominem) (1989-90) (from 1965 to 1990)
- Fellow, St Catherine’s College, Oxford (from 1966 to 1990)
- Junior Research Fellow, Worcester College, Oxford (from 1964 to 1966)
- Graduate student, Balliol College, Oxford (from 1963 to 1964)
- Graduate student, St. John’s College, Cambridge (from 1962 to 1963)
- Undergraduate, University of Sydney (from 1958 to 1961)
- Geometry: algebraic topology and the structure of manifolds
- Quantum field theory: its conceptual and mathematical structure; geometric applications of field theory; two-dimensional conformal field theory
- Global analysis: index theory, geometry and representations of finite- and infinite-dimensional Lie groups; integrable systems
- Space and spaces, Presidential Lecture to the London Mathematical So-
ciety, November 2013.
- 'A geometric perspective on quantum field theory', Contemporary Mathematics, 620 (2014), pages 281-294.
- 'Reflections on Quillen's work on algebraic K-theory', Quarterly Journal of Mathematics 64 (2013), pages 645-664.
- 'Locality of holomorphic bundles, and locality in quantum field theory', in The Many Facets of Geometry, ed. O. Garcia-Prada et al., (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010), pages 164-176.
- ‘The definition of conformal field theory’, in U. Tillmann (ed.), Topolology, Geometry, and Quantum Field Theory (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004).
- (with A. Pressley), Loop groups (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1986).
- ‘Loop groups and equations of KdV type’, IHES Publ. Math., 61 (1985), pages 5-65.
- ‘Unitary representations of some infinite-dimensional groups’, Comm. Math. Phys., 80 (1981), pages 301-42.
- ‘The topology of spaces of rational functions’, Acta Mathematica, 143 (1979), pages 39-72.
- ‘Categories and cohomology theories’, Topology, 13 (1974), pages 293-312.
- Link to publications
- Publications (PDF)
Other professional memberships and roles
- President of the London Mathematical Society (from 2011 to 2013)
- Editor, Topology (from 1970 to 1990)
- Member, Institute for Advanced Study (from 1969 to 1970)