Professor Vincent Crawford
AB, PhD, FBA
University Academic Fellow since 2010
Drummond Professor of Political Economy
Link to Curriculum Vitae
Visit external homepage
Contact by email
- Assistant Professor (1976-1981), Associate Professor (1981-1985), Professor (1985-1997), Distinguished Professor of Economics, University of California, San Diego (1997-2009). Emeritus Professor from 2010. (from 1976 to 2009)
- Postgraduate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (from 1972 to 1976)
- Undergraduate, Princeton University (to 1972)
- Economic theory
- Behavioural and experimental economics
- (with Miguel Costa-Gomes and Nagore Iriberri), 'Structural Models of Nonequilibrium Strategic Thinking: Theory, Evidence, and Applications', Journal of Economic Literature 51 (March 2013), 5-62.
- (with Michèle Belot and Cecilia Heyes), 'Players of Matching Pennies Automatically Imitate Opponents’ Gestures Against Strong Incentives', Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 110(8) (19 February 2013), 2763-2768.
- (with Juanjuan Meng), 'New York City Cabdrivers' Labor Supply Revisited: Reference-Dependent Preferences with Rational-Expectations Targets for Hours and Income', American Economic Review 101 (August 2011), 1912–1932.
- (with Nagore Iriberri), 'Level–k Auctions: Can Boundedly Rational Strategic Thinking Explain the Winner's Curse and Overbidding in Private–Value Auctions?', Econometrica 75 (2007), 1721–70.
- (with Miguel Costa–Gomes), 'Cognition and Behavior in Two–Person Guessing Games: An Experimental Study', American Economic Review 96 (2006), 1737–68.
- 'Theory and Experiment in the Analysis of Strategic Interaction', in David Kreps and Ken Wallis, editors, Advances in Economics and Econometrics: Theory and Applications, Seventh World Congress, Vol. I (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997), 206–42.
- (with Joel Sobel), 'Strategic Information Transmission', Econometrica 50 (1982), 1431–51.
- (with Alexander S. Kelso, Jr.), 'Job Matching, Coalition Formation, and Gross Substitutes', Econometrica 50 (1982), 1483–1504.
- Link to publications and curriculum vitae
Other professional memberships and roles
- Member of Academia Europaea (from 2014)
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2003)
- Fellow, Econometric Society (from 1990)
- Guggenheim Fellow (from 1997 to 1998)
- Co-Editor, American Economic Review (from 2005 to 2009)
- Member, Board of Editors, American Economic Review (from 2009 to 2010)
- Associate Editor, Econometrica (from 2004 to 2007)
- Editor, Games and Economic Behavior (member, Editorial Board, from 1988) (from 2011)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Economic Theory (1986–96, 1998–2004)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization (from 2001 to 2004)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, New Zealand Economic Papers (from 2007)
- Member, American Economic Association Honors and Awards Committee (from 2008 to 2013)
- Member, US National Science Foundation Economics Advisory Panel (from 1996 to 1998)
- Member, First Council of the Game Theory Society (from 2001 to 2003)
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard University (from 1982 to 1983)
- Visiting Professor of Economics & Visiting Research Associate, Industrial Relations Section, Princeton University (from 1985 to 1986)
Research awards and grants
- European Research Council Advanced Investigator Grant, 'BESTDECISION: Behavioural Economics and Strategic Decision Making: Theory, Empirics, and Experiments' (2014-19)
- Research supported by U.S. National Science Foundation Grants (from 1979 to 1994)