Professor Peter Pulzer
BSc, MA, PhD, FRHistS
Emeritus Fellow since 1996
Contact by email
- Professorial Fellow, Institute for German Studies, University of Birmingham (from 1996 to 1999)
- Gladstone Professor of Government and Public Administration and Fellow, All Souls College (from 1985 to 1996)
- Lecturer in Politics, University of Oxford and Official Student and Tutor in Politics, Christ Church, Oxford (from 1962 to 1984)
- Lecturer in Politics, Magdalen College and Christ Church (from 1957 to 1962)
- Postgraduate, King’s College, Cambridge (from 1954 to 1957)
- External Student, University of London (from 1951 to 1954)
- Undergraduate, King’s College, Cambridge (from 1947 to 1950)
- Modern European history
- (co-editor with K. R. Luther) Austria 1945–1995: Fifty Years of the Second Republic (Aldershot: Ashgate, 1998).
- German Politics, 1945–1995 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995).
- Germany 1870–1945: Politics, State Formation, and War (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997).
- Jews and the German State: The Political History of a Minority, 1848-1933 (Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 1992).
- Political Representation and Elections in Britain (London: Allen & Unwin, 1967).
- The Rise of Political Anti-Semitism in Germany and Austria (London: Wiley, 1964; revised edn., London: Halban, 1988).
Other professional memberships and roles
- Hon. Dr rer. soc. oec. (University of Innsbruck, 2007)
- Chairman, Academic Advisory Committee, Centre for German-Jewish Studies, University of Sussex (from 1997 to 2009)
- Chairman, Leo Baeck Institute, London (from 1998)
- Member, Governing Body, Historisches Kolleg, Munich (from 1993 to 1997)
- Hon. Vice-President, International Association for the Study of German Politics (from 1997)
Research awards and grants
- Grand Silver Medal of Honour for Meritorious Service to the Republic of Austria (2008)
- Federal Cross of Merit, Federal Republic of Germany (2004)