Professor Guy S. Goodwin-Gill
Emeritus Fellow since 2014
Visit external homepage
Contact by email
- Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 2002 to 2014)
- Professor of International Refugee Law, University of Oxford (from 1998 to 2014)
- Rubin Director of Research, Institute of European Studies, University of Oxford (from 1997 to 2002)
- Professor of Asylum Law, University of Amsterdam (from 1994 to 1999)
- Professor of Law, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada (from 1989 to 1997)
- Senior Legal Research Officer and variously Legal Adviser, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, London, Sydney, Geneva (from 1976 to 1988)
- Visiting Lecturer, Public International Law, Kingston Polytechnic, Kingston-upon-Thames (from 1973 to 1976)
- Lecturer, later Senior Lecturer, The College of Law, London (from 1971 to 1976)
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate, Wadham College, Oxford (from 1965 to 1974)
- Public international law, with particular interests in immigration, refugees, statelessness and asylum, the use of force, elections and electoral standards
- ‘Non-Refoulement, Temporary Refuge, and the “New” Asylum Seekers’, in David Cantor & Jean-François Durieux, eds., Refuge from Inhumanity? War Refugees and International Humanitarian Law (Leiden: Brill, 2014) 433-59.
- ‘The International Law of Refugee Protection’, in Elena Fiddian-Qasmiyeh, Gil Loescher, Katy Long and Nando Sigona, eds., The Oxford Handbook of Refugee and Forced Migration Studies (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014), 36-47.
- ‘The Dynamic of International Refugee Law’, International Journal of Refugee Law, 25 (2013), 651-666.
- 'Palestine, UN Membership and Popular Representation: International Legal Challenges and Strategic Options’, in Mutaz Qafisheh, ed., Palestine Membership in the United Nations: Legal and Practical Implications (Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2013), 30-44.
- (ed. with Hélène Lambert), The Limits of Transnational Law: Refugee Law, Policy Harmonization and Judicial Dialogue in the European Union, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- (ed. with Ian Brownlie, Q.C.), Brownlie’s Documents on Human Rights, 6th edn. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010).
- (with Dr Jane McAdam), The Refugee in International Law, 3rd edn. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007).
- Free and Fair Elections, 2nd revised and expanded edn. (Geneva: Inter-Parliamentary Union, 2006): http://www.ipu.org/pdf/publications/free&fair06-e.pdf
- ‘The Right to Seek Asylum: Interception at Sea and the Principle of Non-refoulement’, International Journal of Refugee Law 23 (2011), 443-57.
- ‘The Politics of Refugee Protection’, Refugee Survey Quarterly 27 (2008), 8-23.
- ‘The International Protection of Refugees and Asylum Seekers: Between Principle and Pragmatism?’ – Presentation to the 2014 Kaldor Conference, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 3 November 2014: http://www.kaldorcentre.unsw.edu.au/sites/kaldorcentre.unsw.edu.au/files/gsgg-kaldor2014-final.pdf
- ‘The Globalization of High Seas Interdiction – Sale’s Legacy and Beyond’
Part 1: http://opiniojuris.org/2014/03/16/yale-sale-symposium-globalization-high-seas-interdiction-sales-legacy-beyond/
Part 2: http://opiniojuris.org/2014/03/16/yale-sale-symposium-sales-legacy-beyond-part-ii/
- ‘Mr Al-Jedda, Deprivation of Citizenship, and International Law’, paper (revised) presented at Middlesex University, 14 February 2014: http://www.parliament.uk/documents/joint-committees/human-rights/GSGG-DeprivationCitizenshipRevDft.pdf
- ‘Deprivation of Citizenship resulting in Statelessness and its Implications in International Law: Opinion’, 12 March 2014: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1086878-guy-s-goodwin-gill-legal-opinion-on-deprivation.html
- ‘Deprivation of Citizenship resulting in Statelessness and its Implications in International Law: Further Comments’, 6 April 2014: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1104868-gsgg-deprivationcitizenshipfurthercommentfinal.html
- ‘Deprivation of Citizenship, Statelessness and International Law: More Authority (if it were needed...)’, 5 May 2014: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1154592/gsgg-deprivationcitizenship-moreauthority.pdf
- ‘Analysis: Why Australia is failing on asylum seekers’, The New Daily, 13 July, 2014: http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2014/07/13/comment-asylum/
Teaching and supervision
- Supervision of DPhil and MPhil students (law and international relations)
Other professional memberships and roles
- Practising Barrister from Blackstone Chambers, London
- Visiting Professor, Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law (from 2008 to 2009)