The Very Revd Dr John Drury
Official Fellow since 2003
Contact by email
- Dean of Christ Church, Oxford (from 1991 to 2003)
- Dean of Chapel and Fellow of King’s College, Cambridge (from 1981 to 1991)
- Lecturer in Religious Studies, Sussex University (from 1979 to 1981)
- Resident Canon of Norwich Cathedral and Examining Chaplain to Bishop of Norwich (Vice-Dean of Norwich, 1978) (from 1973 to 1979)
- Chaplain and Fellow of Exeter College, Oxford (from 1969 to 1973)
- Chaplain, Downing College, Cambridge (from 1966 to 1969)
- Curate, St John’s Wood Church, London (from 1963 to 1966)
- Ordained at Westcott House, Cambridge
Undergraduate, Trinity Hall, Cambridge (to 1961)
- A study of the poetry of George Herbert in its historical context and for its present power and value
- Music at Midnight: The Life and Poetry of George Herbert (London: Allen Lane, 2013).
- Painting the Word (London: Yale University Press, 1999).
- The Burning Bush (London: Fount, 1990).
- Critics of the Bible, 1724-1873 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1989).
- The Parables in the Gospels (London: SPCK, 1985).
- The Pot and the Knife (London: SCM Press, 1979).
- Tradition and Design in Luke’s Gospel (London: Darton, Longman, and Todd, 1976).
- Luke (London: Collins, 1973).
- Angels and Dirt (London : Darton, Longman, and Todd, 1972).
Other professional memberships and roles
- Hon. Student of Christ Church
- Hon. Fellow of Exeter College and Trinity Hall, Cambridge
- Hussey Lecturer, University of Oxford (1997)
- Syndic, Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (from 1988 to 1991)
- Examining Chaplain to Bishop of Chichester (from 1980 to 1982)
- Fleck Resident in Religion, Bryn Mawr College, USA (1978)
- Member, Doctrine Commission of Church of England (from 1978 to 1982)
- Joint Editor, Theology (from 1976 to 1986)