Professor Angela McLean
MA, PhD, FRS
Senior Research Fellow since 2008
Co-Director of the Institute of Emerging Infections, Oxford
Visit external homepage
Contact by email
- Professor of Mathematical Biology, University of Oxford and Fellow of St Catherine’s College, Oxford (from 2000 to 2005)
- Head of Mathematical Biology, BBSRC’s Institute for Animal Health (from 1998 to 2000)
- Royal Society University Research Fellow, Oxford (seconded 1994-8, Institut Pasteur, Paris) (from 1990 to 1998)
- Postgraduate at Imperial College, London (from 1983 to 1986)
- Graduate Student, Mathematics Department, University of California, Berkeley, USA (from 1982 to 1983)
- Undergraduate, Somerville College, Oxford (from 1979 to 1982)
- Use of mathematical models to aid our understanding of the evolution and spread of infectious agents
- Klepac, P, Metcalf, CJE, McLean, AR, Hampson, K, 'Towards the endgame and beyond: complexities and challenges for the elimination of infectious diseases', Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 368 (20120137; doi:10.1098/rstb.2012.0137).
- H. Charles J. Godfray, Christl A. Donnelly, Rowland R. Kao, David W. Macdonald, Robbie A. McDonald, Gillian Petrokofsky, James L. N. Wood, Rosie Woodroffe, Douglas B. Young, Angela R. McLean, 'A restatement of the natural science evidence base relevant to the control of bovine tuberculosis in Great Britain', Proc R Soc B2013;280:20131634, August 7, 2013 (10.1098/rspb.2013.1634).
- Palmer, D, Frater, J, Phillips R, McLean, AR, & McVean, G. 'Integrating genealogical and dynamical modelling to infer escape and reversion rates in HIV epitopes'. Proceedings of the Royal Society of B-Biological Sciences 280 IS 1762 AR 20130696 DI 10.1098/rspb.2013.0696 PD JUL 7 2013 PY 2013 TC 0 ZB 0.
- McLean, AR, 'Infectious Disease Modeling', in Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, pages 99-115 (New York: Springer, 2013).
- Fryer, H. R., Frater, J., Duda, A., Palmer, D., Phillips, R. E., & McLean, A. R., 'Cytotoxic T-Lymphocyte Escape Mutations Identified by HLA Association Favor Those Which Escape and Revert Rapidly', Journal of Virology 86(16) (2012), pages 8568-8580.
- Link to publications
Teaching and supervision
- Undergraduate biology of infectious diseases
- Graduate study in mathematical epidemiology and immunology
Research awards and grants
- 2008–13 Co-Director with Professor Rodney Phillips, Institute for Emerging Infections, James Martin 21st Century School
Prix Franco-britannnique de l’academie des Sciences (1996)