Image banner
Small image

Foundation

The College of All Souls of the Faithful Departed was established by Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury, with King Henry VI as its formal co-founder. The Archbishop was making preparations for this, his second Oxford foundation (the first was St Bernard's), as early as 1436, but its foundation-stone was not laid until St Scholastica's Day (10 February) 1437/8. Between then and 1443, when its original buildings were effectively complete and it received its final statutes, Chichele's college had cost him some £9,500 (say £5 million at current prices). Of this, over £5,000 went to endow it with estates, chiefly in Kent and Middlesex, together with other properties in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, and substantial confiscated alien priory lands in Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Shropshire and Wales.